Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pink Ribbon Girl

Second of character sketches for the joint venture between Luis and myself. i did this one also as a first person narrative. i really like this character. it took awhile for her to come to me but she did. i was in new york walking on central park west towards the Natural History Museum and she slowly showed herself to me. i have to be honest with you here, i got closer to this one than i normally like to. so close, in fact, i have been avoiding typing this. right now i am avoiding it by typing this ridiculously long introduction. well it is time. i present to you Pink Ribbon Girl:

I have this nagging feeling. I do not know where it's coming from and that bothers me. I always know. I should clarify. I rarely do not know and when I don't I find out. I always find out. Nothing escapes me. Except for this. I can't expect you to understand. You would look at me and see what most see. I am beautiful. Long straight black hair, with honey-colored eyes, and legs for days. You also realize when you see me that you can never have me. I am so above you and you know it. But this feeling, it is leveling the playing field. I am not at ease. I am out of my game and I don't like it.

Nothing escapes me. I never want for anything. Everything works for me, it always has. But this feeling doesn't obey. It's growing too. It is starting to make me question me. Who am I to think the world should bend to my whim? It certainly doesn't do that for anyone else. I watch you and your pathetic push and pull against the odds. I don't do that. I shouldn't have to do that. I am above that. How am I above that? I am a person, right? I eat. I sleep. I have a heart and lungs. But I never hurt. I never need. I have no urges. Is that being alive? It must be. I am alive. Right?

Maybe I am alive now. I never worried, wanted, or needed until now. This nagging feeling. Does that make me alive?

I don't know. I do know it has something to do with my new charge, Harriot. I like her. She reminds me of myself in a kind of fun house mirror sort of way. All the pieces are there just way out of proportion. She is key, that much I know. Her and my long pink ribbon.

No comments: